Monday, July 16, 2007

Organic Shmorganic


I went today to http://www.soupfreaks.com/ for the first time. Now for those of you who are not familiar with institution, let me just say this: This place is so "San Francisco" that if the city to hold the next Olympic games, this should be the official soup provider. This ain't the place you want to discuss your last visit to Mel's dinner, or someone can call the cops on you.

As I entered, I couldn't miss the big flat LCD screen, which serves as a menu, listing the soups dejour. Normally, you would choose your soup by its main ingredient (potato soap, cream of mushroom soap etc.), but remember? these are freaks! Instead of putting extra broth in their soup, they put an extra portion of creativity in naming their soups (yes, ever more than Jamba Juice).

Can you guess what does "Freakin’ Moody II" stands for? (hint: this is not the a new game for Sony Play Station III) , How about the guessing the kind of vegetables in "Veggie Shmeggie"? Is that a shortcut for Smushed Vegetables soup, like the kind you give for babies? mmm... not sure I would like that one.

Now, to be fair, every soup is followed by a short description that suppose to give you an idea of what's inside (in case you weren't able to figure it out from the name...). The description however, give you way more than that. Soup freaks make sure you know the life story of the chicken that was used for your soup ("...100% Natural, free range Rosie Chicken") , they also want you to know that the beans you are bout to eat, came all the way from Tuscany (..." Tuscan White Bean"). Mmm... For some reason, I was sure that Tuscany is famous for their wine. They even take care of the those of us who weren't lucky enough to have a sense of smell, telling us that one of the ingredients is a "fragrant vegetable stock".

No matter what kind of soup it is, at the very least, they make sure that at least one of the ingredients is either: "organic", "vegan", "free range", "natural", "fragrant" or all of the above. With all that organic-shmorganic going on, I was beginning to wonder whether they recycled my soup after I was done with it(I'm pretty sure I left some broth in my cup)...


No comments: